Monday, February 6, 2012

Short ribs!

Last night I made four pounds of short ribs using a recipe I found in Bon Appetit a while ago:


I love short ribs, and how can you go wrong when the recipe calls for an entire bottle of red wine? This is a good weekend recipe because, though it's not difficult, it takes a while -- you simmer the ribs in wine on the stove for about half an hour (pictured below), and then they go in the oven for 2-2.5 hours


I'd made this recipe once before, using some short ribs I picked up at Whole Foods. It was really good, but the ribs were extremely fatty and there ended up being not all that much meat. Happy to report that the fat-to-meat ratio was not an issue this time around. We ate the ribs over mashed potatoes, but I think I'm going to try them over polenta next time. Also, getting the excess fat out of the sauce would be way easier if I had a gravy separator. If you do as the recipe instructs and "spoon fat from the surface of the sauce," you will be hovering over the sauce with a spoon for a really long time. Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment